Serious mobile gaming
While we love the myriad apps and games in the App Store, there’s one thing we definitely don’t like about mobile gaming: our fingers going oddly numb or worse, cramping up. We’d love to play as long as our batteries will allow, but the form factor of the iPhone clashes with the limits our fragile human bodies. If we are going to get serious about claiming some worldwide high scores on our favorite games, we need a solution.
And behold, the gods provided us with the iCade Mobile, the ultimate handheld game controller for iPhone and iPod Touch. With a classic controller configuration, iCade Mobile makes it easy to play modern and retro games the way they were meant to be played. iCade Mobile features a four-way directional pad, four front-facing action buttons, and four shoulder buttons. All will withstand your most furious button mashing. Your iPhone nestles in the cradle, which can be positioned in landscape or portrait mode. You’ll get a full view of all the action on screen because your hands and gripping the ergonomic controller pad. No more cramps! No more numb fingers! Game until the cows come home… or you run out of battery life.
- Fun and fast mobile gaming for your iPhone or iPod Touch
- Adds physical buttons and d-pad to make your gaming experience better
- Rotating cradle allows for landscape and portrait viewing
- Connects using wireless Bluetooth technology (set up once and you’re good to go!)
- Works with over 100 games and apps (search “iCade” in the app store)
- Ergonomic design lets you play for hours in comfort
- True control with eight action buttons and two-axis directional pad
- Compatibility: iPod Touch (3rd 4th Gen), iPhone 3/3G/3GS/4/4S
- Safety Warranty Manual and Quickstart Guide included
- iPod Touch Insert included
- Batteries: 2 x AA (included)
Numerous iOS developers have built in iCADE support. The games listed below have either released or announced support for the iCADE:
- Nyan Cat! – Marc Ellis
- Midway Arcade – Warner Bros.
- PAC-MAN for iPad – Namco Networks America Inc. Games
- Super Lemonade Factory – Shane Brouwer
- Blast Ball – UNCADE
- Gold Runner – YOMEN, Inc.
- Kung Fu Rabbit – Bulkypix
- Retro Racing – Mr Qwak Limited
- Muffin Knight – Angry Mob Games
- Minotron: 2112 – Llamasoft
- Velocispider – Retro Dreamer
- No Gravity – Realtech VR
- Super Mega Worm – Deceased Pixel LLC
- Space Inversion – Silverline Arts
- Sideways Racing – Bjango
- Emerald Mine – Les Bird
- Freeesh – Realtech VR
- Commodore 64 – Manomio LLC
- The Exterminator – SUMO Productions
- IronStar Arena – Appracatappra, LLC.
- Compression HD – Little White Bear Studios, LLC
- Mos Speedrun – Physmo
- Warblade HD – Edgar Vigdal
- Plum Crazy – Claymore Games
- HungryMaster – xionchannel
- Cyborg Livestock – PopArcade
- Space Inversion 2. – Silverline Arts
- Stardash – OrangePixel
- Super Drill Panic – OrangePixel
- GoatUp – Llamasoft
- Minotaur Rescue – Llamasoft
- Bob’s Action Racing – VariaMedia GmbH
- Silverfish MAX – Chaotic Box
- Match Panic – Chaotic Box
- Retroid – Flat Black Films
- Box Cat – Rusty Moyher
- Fruity The Snake HD – 22Moo
- AirAttack HD – Art In Games
- Temple Run – Imangi Studios, LLC
- Haunted Hallway – UNCADE
- HyperBowl – Technicat, LLC
- Battlestation – CrushCrumble
- Jungool – Headsoft
- Influx – Half Fast Games
Are you an iOS developer? – If you’re supporting the iCADE, let us know about it! Just email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Official ION Documentation! – The team at ION has made their official iCADE Developers Resource available for download without an NDA and we’re please to offer it here as well! iCADE Developers Resource [PDF].
- Stuart Carnie of manomio software has released an Open Source SDK for adding iCADE support to iOS apps. The open source iCADE SDK can be downloaded here.
iOS: If you’ve taken the step of Jailbreaking your iPhone, the iMAME4all app adds MAME awesomeness to your iCADE gaming stack. While we can’t recommend jailbreaking or unlicensed ROMs, we can certainly confirm that it does indeed work and it works quite well.
Android: By popular demand, Seleuco added iCADE support to MAME4droid
The iCADE uses the U.S. Hardware Keyboard Layout. International Users can switch their iPhone to this layout by following thee steps:
- Launch Settings app on your iPhone
- Select ‘General’
- Select ‘Keyboard’
- Select ‘International Keyboards’
- Select (your keyboard language)
- Select ‘English’
- Close Settings app
- The Hardware Keyboard can be switched back to your language of choice by following these directions and choosing your language in Step 6.